> Fire Extinguishers
lotsacars
post Aug 13 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

Group: RAISSE
Member No.: 462

Alright folks, if you haven't been following the thread over in the "Glove Compartment" about Rob's close call than get yourself up to speed and we'll see you back here shortly...

Now, this is the GP that should have the highest participation rate ever, if you ask me. Would you pay a one-time insurance premium of $10-15 dollars to protect your ride from total loss in the event of a fire? I know I would and I'm mildly embarassed to admit that I haven't already.

So, what I'm trying to coordinate is a group purchase of 2.5lb ABC fire extinguishers with a vehicle mounting bracket for a competetive price - we're shooting for $10, but it would be no more than $15 since that price is getting too close to retail to make this whole thing worth it. We're also considering (against my better judgement tongue.gif ) offering a chrome option (price goal of under $50) and a 5lb option which we should be able to do under $20, I imagine. The advantage to the 5lb is obvious, the disadvantage being it's girth - this would likely be a trunk-mount only whereas the 2.5lb could reside in the cabin.

What I'm looking for is a somewhat serious commitment from folks as to how many and of what type they'd be interested. This way I have an idea of what kind of numbers I'm working with. The vendor first in line for this opportunity is the Churchville Fire Company with which I'll be having further discussions with on or about the 19th, so you have about a week to get in your initial counts. CFC isn't a local fire station, it's a business that sells and services all fire equipment. I'm hoping to offer a high-quality extinguisher at a competetive price.

Note: This does not need to end up exclusively in your b-body - you can put them in all of your vehicles, garage, etc. - so consider all locations and plan accordingly.

Note II: The goal is to have them available at the RAISSE shootout (which you're all signed up for, no doubt peelout.gif ) to avoid shipping. They will be available to folks in the Rochester area who can't make it to the shootout, but there will be no shipping of these to far lands. If you want one (some) then you're going to have to come get it - it simply isn't cost effective to be shipping these all over the place. If you're in the Rochester area we can work something out for pick-up/delivery.

So please particitpate - this is for your own good afterall!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sponsored Links
post Aug 13 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #
Inegma.net

Advertisements

Quote Post
SSweet9C1
post Aug 13 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Wine O'Jackass!
Group Icon

Group: UNYISSO
Member No.: 54

Hey I would like a 2.5 in chrome and a 5LBer for my trunk.. .FWIW a 2.5 is virtually useless in a vehicle fire, unless it is merely melting wires and is caught early.... but for anykind of engine fire you want no less than 5lber..

like joel said, you want ABC, and metal valve.. the plastics are USELESS especially in cars (heat etc makes them leak)

Maintenance: they don't say theres any maintenance, but you are supposed to flip them over once every couple months and bang them on something hard (no joke) the powder settles and will eventually clump if you don't... then you only get the gas released... just make sure you don't hit the valve/gauge etc biggrin.gif

I want to mount a chrome one in the cabin, and a big good one in the trunk...
TIA
Jonathan

+Quote Post
nj96
post Aug 13 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Whackjob from Jersey
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So cool that you're setting this up... These HD Kidde ones are making me nervous...

Here's my list:

2 - chrome 2.5 lbs
4 - regular 5 lbs

Definitely psyched! Yeah, I think it's dancing banana time! banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif

-Dan

+Quote Post
dservati
post Aug 13 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

Member No.: 339

If I got this right u can get a chome 2.5lb with a bracket for $20 bucks - I'll take two no questions asked!!

+Quote Post
lotsacars
post Aug 14 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #5

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

QUOTE(dservati @ Aug 13 2005, 09:57 PM)
If I got this right u can get a chome 2.5lb with a bracket for $20 bucks - I'll take two no questions asked!!
[right][snapback]47077[/snapback][/right]

Nice try Dave! tongue.gif Take another look:
...offering a chrome option (price goal of under $50) and a 5lb option which we should be able to do under $20, I imagine.

I really have no idea what a chrome one would cost at this point. I just figured that the price point you mentioned in the other thread (sub-$50) would make it an attractive option for some. I don't even know if this will be an option at all at this point, just keep that in mind folks.

I hadn't heard that bit about the maint - the ones we have here at work are untouched except for their yearly inspection. The one I used a couple weeks ago readily dispensed all 10lbs of dry chem in short order bigangel.gif Let me tell you it takes quite a bit longer to clean up 10lbs than it does to dispense it...

Anyway, this is sort of an open discussion at this point. We just need to have our ducks in a row by the end of this week. Afterall, even a 10lber would look lost in one of our trunks biggrin.gif Having two size options does seem to make sense, the more I think about it. Feel free to spew your thoughts and if you have any real knowledge in the subject matter, please chime in (as some of you already have). Thanks!

+Quote Post
dservati
post Aug 14 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

QUOTE(lotsacars @ Aug 14 2005, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE(dservati @ Aug 13 2005, 09:57 PM)
[right][snapback]47077[/snapback][/right]

Nice try Dave! tongue.gif Take another look:
...offering a chrome option (price goal of under $50) and a 5lb option which we should be able to do under $20, I imagine.

I really have no idea what a chrome one would cost at this point. I just figured that the price point you mentioned in the other thread (sub-$50)
[right][snapback]47096[/snapback][/right]

Can ya blame a guy for trying??
I used $50 because you can buy a chrome 2.5lb ABC Ext. at Walmart and Advance Auto for $49.00.

+Quote Post
sherlock9c1
post Aug 14 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #7

Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 119

Some questions:
1. what color are the non-chrome extinguishers going to be? Are we allowed to paint them (except for the label) any color we want? I'd match my interior if it was up to me, so if that's true I don't care about the color.

2. Can you get time ratings for the 2.5 / 5 / 10lb units, as well as physical dimensions?

3. I will also need mounting brackets. What's the word on those?

4. If I mount the trunk fire extinguisher directly in the path of a subwoofer, do I not have to shake it every so often? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lotsacars
post Aug 24 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

Here's the skinny. The price is a bit north of what was anticipated due to the metal valve. The 2.5lb red would be $22 and the 2.5lb chrome would be $42. I can't get ahold of the chrome by this Sat though. I can get my hands on plenty of red 2.5lbers.

They're Amerex brand and the details on them can be seen on their website here - Amerex. The site will also answer your questions, Joel.

I guess let me know who would be interested in red 2.5lb ones for this Sat and I'll keep working on the chrome and 5lb models. I'll keep you posted...

+Quote Post
Roadkill
post Aug 24 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

Member No.: 75

QUOTE(lotsacars @ Aug 24 2005, 08:12 PM)

I guess let me know who would be interested in red 2.5lb ones for this Sat and I'll keep working on the chrome and 5lb models. I'll keep you posted...
[right][snapback]47518[/snapback][/right]

I'll take one Luc. Let me know on the chrome one.

+Quote Post
sherlock9c1
post Aug 25 2005, 07:47 AM
Post #10

Goldmember
Group Icon

Those prices are in line with what I was quoted at several places in Syracuse - $25/50 for the 2.5/5lb units, although your prices are 10% under so I suppose that's the discount for a "group" buy.

Sign me up for 3 of the 2.5lb red ones as well as mounting brackets. I was going to wait to see the prices of the 5lb units but by looking at the discharge times, it looks like if I want additional capacity, I should just buy additional of the 2.5lb units.

+Quote Post
lotsacars
post Aug 25 2005, 08:03 AM
Post #11

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

I got pricing on 5lbers - $28 for red and $54 for chrome - pretty good deal if you ask me. That's a big, functional piece of chrome for $54 biggrin.gif Lead time on either of the chrome sizes is a month plus as they would have to be ordered on the next stock order.

I've asked if he has red 5lb available now, I'll let you know.

I'm picking these up during business hours tomorrow so if you want in, let me know asap!

We'll figure something out for the chrome ones if people are still interested in those.

Edit: Price for 5lb red changed to reflect actual price. Sorry for any confusion.

+Quote Post
sherlock9c1
post Aug 25 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #12

Goldmember
Group Icon

Wow, that's a screamin' deal on those 5lb units!

ok - I want: (all red, no chrome):
3 2.5lbs + mounting brackets
3 5lbs + mounting brackets

PM me the total and I'll bring cash to NYIRP on saturday.

This post has been edited by sherlock9c1: Aug 25 2005, 09:10 AM

+Quote Post
dservati
post Aug 25 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #13

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

5lbs chorme better price! Does that include a mounting bracket? and what is the part # so I can look at on their site?

BTW is this cash & carry only or paypal credit etc?

Thanks! - Dave

+Quote Post
Sinij kot
post Aug 25 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #14

Stud Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

I'll take one 2.5 lb.

+Quote Post
lotsacars
post Aug 25 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #15

Senior Member IV
Group Icon

5lb red are also available for this Sat. I'm not sure of the part number - it should be on the link I posted above. Both sizes come with vehicle mounting brackets.

They will be cash and carry at the RAISSE shootout. I suppose I could do Paypal, but there will have to be a slight increase in price due to their fee. I'll look into that here shortly.

Get your requests in - I plan on making the trip to pick them up tomorrow morning.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:03 PM